Monday, September 7, 2009

Camden's Windjammer Weekend

I love going to bed at night when the temps start to cool. It's still warm enough to have a window cracked open in my bedroom, but cool enough to snuggle up under the down comforter. Recently, I had the pleasure of family company from P.A. As I snuggled in for the night, moonshine outside my window, I was drifting off with thoughts of the glorious day ahead.

I knew the weather would be fine, and I was truly looking forward to taking my family to lunch...and then to the Camden Windjammer Festival. Centered around the Camden Harbor waterfront, the town is bustling with just enough visitors to keep things exciting, but we still found a place to park (within a few blocks of the harbor). As we wound our way down to the waterfront, sounds of sea
shanties filled the air, and the tall masts decorated with colorful sails and flags came into view.
It couldn't have been a more stellar backdrop. Clear blue skies, hot sun, and a cool seabreeze beckoned us to climb aboard these magnificent ships. The Nathanial Bowditch, the Appledor, Olad, and a host of other beauties welcomed travelers aboard for an in-depth look around. Up and down we went, in and out of bunks, galleys, decks, one boat to the next. The smell of the coal and wood stoves lingers in the galleys, one can just imagine a brisk night to see up top and coming down for a nightcap and a warm-up by the stove. LUXURY! I was like a kid in a candy store! I vowed, again, to one day set sail aboard one of these fine sailing ships to experience bedtime at sea. I am certain that I will return a changed woman.

On land, we enjoyed demonstrations of the maritime trade, old and new. After we got our feel for the history of it all, we meandered up the quaint streets of town to browse the shops and galleries. A perfect day in Maine. A luxury rich in history and strength is found on these fine boats. If you have a chance to enjoy them someday, I strongly suggest that you not miss the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment