Thursday, August 13, 2009

Luxury = Full Belly! Beal Street BBQ

Tucked on a crazy little side street (Water Street, to be exact), you will find Beal Street Barbeque. Not "Beal Street" as the name might suggest. After a fine day of shopping and admiring the comings-and-goings of the shipbuilding and harbor, I can't imagine anything more satisfying than a fantastic meal. Now that takes on many different forms for me, and if you have been keeping up with this blog then you know by now that I can find a little bit of luxury in all kinds of situations.

At Beal Street, you get some of the finest comfort food that I have had the pleasure of feasting upon! Their motto best describes the fare; "a tradition of eclectic American cuisine centered around o
ur smokers and our grills". Having seen their ad for many years in Down East Magazine, I finally made the stop. And thank goodness I did so that I can tell you about it!

I came for smoked meat, and that's what I got! I stared with the Smoked Hot Sausage with dipping mustard. Absolutely amazing flavor, and just the right amount of spicy. I grazed on that for quite some time, enjoying a nice cold beer. What a decadent combination.

I blew right passed the salads, although there were plenty of tasty salad meals to choose from; The Beal Street Caesar, Baby Got Goat, and Key West Salad for mentions. But remember, I came for the meat! So onward, to a full rack of St. Louis cut slow roasted BBQ Ribs served up with a side of Japaleno Cornbread. A pat of butter and it melts in your mouth.

If ribs aren't what you're after, Beal Street offers plenty of slow-smoked and "beyond barbeque" items. Something that begs my return is the Seafood and Sausage Jambalaya or perhaps the Crab & Slab (half rack of ribs and a Maine seafood cake).

All of this awaits you in a modern and warm atmosphere in two locations; 215 Water Street, Bath or at 725 Broadway in South Portland. I have not been to the SOPO location yet, but I can assure I am looking forward to a visit. The Bath location offers warmth, understated elegance in a funky urban-type setting. Loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment